On Feb 10, 2024, at 19:05, Robert McBroom via users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I typically boot in mode 3 to a terminal. Fedora f39 going to lxde as the
> desktop. Today with a cold boot and entering  the user login the following
> message showed
>
> --
>
> System is going down. Unprivileged users are not permitted to log in anymore
> , for technical details see pam_nologin(8)
>
> --
>
> Further messages indicated that some updates were being installed. After some
> minutes the system rebooted.
>
> Everything known has been done to prevent any automatic updates with manual
> dnf being used as needed. The pam_login module looks for the existence of
>
> /etc/nologin or
>
> /var/run/nolongin
>
> What is updating files without a command  and writing these entries?

You mentioned you disabled DNF auto updates, but is the
packagekit-offline-updates.service unit running?  That can also perform updates
(via PackageKit->dnf) and reboot.  Perhaps the login shell was somehow added to
the system-update.target?

It’s worth looking at the journal at that time to see what was running.  This
isn’t a completely unsolvable mystery, all the actions will be in the journal.

--
Jonathan Billings