Hi,

>     I'm not clear on if you want to do desktop sharing or a remote X
> >     connection.  For an application like evolution, I would suggest
> desktop
> >     sharing.  If you want to run evolution and have it display on your
> >     screen using X forwarding, then you just need the "-X" option to ssh.
> >     No port forwarding required (other than ssh to get in).  Then you
> have
> >     to run the application and it only displays on your screen (slowly).
> >

> > I forgot that the command-line I was using was from a long time ago when
> > I actually had tigervnc working properly over port 5901. When I connect
> > using just -X then try to run evolution, it fails:
> >
> > $ ssh -X -i ~/.ssh/mykey-key.rsa -l gary remotehost -p 1024
> > [gary@fedora ~]$ evolution
> > (evolution:3644): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 09:41:05.182: Your application
> > did not unregister from D-Bus before destruction. Consider using
> > g_application_run().
>
> That's not failing unless it comes back to the prompt.  How long did you
> wait?  Is it already running for that user?

He's bringing the PC to me so I can experiment now, but I think it went
back to the prompt and evolution simply never appeared. My DISPLAY was set
to localhost:10.0 but it's somehow possible it was being displayed on his
computer.

> >     If you want to do desktop sharing, then your friend needs to enable
> >     that
> >     in the sharing section of the Gnome settings.
> >

> > Do you have more specifics on that? I've tried search for "sharing" and
> > "remote" in my GNOME settings in Cinnamon and nothing is found.
>
> I don't know about Cinnamon.  Maybe it doesn't have it.  In Gnome,
> there's a section called "Sharing" which has ssh, desktop sharing, and
> file sharing.

I believe Cinnamon is just a window manager on top of GNOME?

I'm an old-school admin who used to build his own X configs - haven't kept
up with the desktop stuff, despite having fedora as my daily driver for
decades :-)

>     My current preferred method is to use rustdesk.  There's an rpm
> >     available from the website.  I run my own server and relay for it, so
> >     it's completely private.  I've only used it for supporting windows
> >     users
> >     so far, so I'm not sure how well it works for Wayland on the remote
> >     system.  It works fine with Wayland on the viewing side.
> >

> > It appears rustdesk is only the client, correct? The server is built-in
> > to Wayland as an RDP server, correct?
>
> It's both and Wayland doesn't have an RDP server.  Both sides run
> rustdesk and one side does the connection using the connection info
> provided from the other side.

All the googling I've done hasn't resulted in any docs on how to
download/setup/configure rustdesk on the server side. Do you have a pointer
on how to do this?

I'm also assuming his desktop is wayland, given it's the fedora default, so
should I convert to Xorg? It's a basic 10yo PC with a built-in video card
and 64GB RAM.