John Pilkington composed on 2024-04-30 18:58 (UTC+0100):

> Hi all:  I have two old systems (with old nVidia graphics), recently
> upgraded from f38 to f39 and both at present using nouveau.  One was
> OK-ish, the other had screen-recognition and HDMI-audio issues, and I
> thought it might be worth trying the more-mainstream f40.

> Now the main problem is with the previously OK (single-boot) box, which
> reports after the download and dnf-testing that

> "At least 446 MB more space (is) needed on the / filesystem".

> Google (fedoraforum) has a suggestion of trimming the journalctl log,
> but neither that nor any other space-clearing actions that I have tried
> has made any difference.  KDiskFree shows multi-GB space on all except
> current /boot and a hopefully inactive remnant of another, much
> older/boot with a different mount point.  Both of those have sizes
> around 450 MB and free space around 150 MB.  TTBOMK only the current
> 6.8.7 f39 kernel and its rescue version are installed.

> Suggestions?  Thanks.

This is easy enough to fix. I've needed to do this many times.

First, if more than one kernel remains installed, remove all but the latest
working one.

If freespace hasn't risen sufficiently following kernel removals, add the kernel
to /etc/dnf/dnf.conf locks group so that a new kernel won't be part of the
initial
upgrade. Then try the system upgrade again.

If that didn't make freespace adequate, navigate to the system-upgrade packages
cache.

Find the largest few rpms contained there.

Determine that they are related to X and/or DE or other non-crucial subsystem
rather than any crucial basesystem components. Fonts, themes, wallpapers and
icons
are such candidates.

Force install one with rpm, then delete the rpm.

Check freespace. If not yet adequate, force install another.

When freespace becomes adequate, resume the system upgrade process.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
        based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata