On 5/22/24 1:43 PM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
On May 22, 2024, at 16:32, Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net> wrote:

By “SFTP” do you mean FTP over SSL/TLS, or the OpenSSH “sftp” backend which
runs over the SSH protocol? Two completely different protocols.
I suspect that lftp just calls out to the OpenSSH sftp binary if it uses SSH.

Sort of.  It calls "ssh" to run "sftp" on the other end.

I think you’re confusing OpenSSH’s “sftp” with their “scp”, which calls the
remote scp when it runs, and which it’s why it’s not considered secure and is
often disabled.

I'm not confusing anything.  I checked it before posting.  :-)
From strace:
execve("/bin/sh", ["sh", "-c", "ssh -a -x -s <ip address> sftp"]

It does not run sftp locally.  lftp must implement the protocol itself.