On 16/7/24 2:25 am, Barry wrote:

On 15 Jul 2024, at 13:33, fed...@eyal.emu.id.au wrote:

If the name is assigned to a MAC then it will be stable regardless, on every
boot.

This is not true.
The eth devices are numbered in the order they are discovered by the kernel.
That is why they can change on each boot if discovery timing has races.

Agreed, but this is not my point. I understand that the devices are initially
named randomly,
but then the ifcfg scripts rename them based on the MAC, like
        DEVICE=eth1
        HWADDR=00:1b:21:3a:56:72

I thought that in the end, I can name the interfaces any way I want this way.

Nevertheless, if fedora is moving to nm I should redo my network configuration
that way
and remove all the then unused (I assume) scripts.

Barry

--
Eyal at Home (fed...@eyal.emu.id.au)