David <dgbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Sent: Aug 22, 2010 11:36 PM
>To: Greg Leonard
>Subject: Re: Fedora updates getting more like Windows every day
>
>On 8/23/2010 2:17 AM, Tim wrote:
>More FUD. Windows updates will 'complete' before a reboot it necessary.
>A reboot is the easy, fast way to update the installed programs and the
>'in memory' data.

Udder bull.  I've gone through reboot hell with a freshly imaged system.  Some
'later' hotfixes/Service Packs/whatever, are dependent on the IN-MEMORY
appearance of prior patches/service packs/hotfixes.

>I appears that you have no *recent* experience with modern Windows
>versions or with modern hardware.

Let's see:  Windows 7, less than one year old machine.  I guess I should go
back to using DOS.  However, when I install Linux, I don't get this and if I
want I can WAIT to apply updates.

>Rebooting!!!!  The horror!!!  Linux zealot FUD. but what about my
>up-time? Who care?

I do.  I've had uptimes in the range of YEARS on Linux/UNIX/OS/2 (what's
that???)  I've had Windows crash while I was surfing the web.  Not pleasent.

Uptimes are very important in a six sigma system as well (if you don't
understand that term, it's 99.9999% or BETTER availablity, less schedule
maintenance.)  I've had applications up and quit on me that, upon restart, ran
for weeks and weeks.  Windows is a 'boot every day' or 'boot every week' just
to clean out the clutter, memory leaks (some of which have existed since
Windows 3.0) and other cruft.  That is why companies INSIST on running
Linux/UNIX for their 'bulletproof' applications.

And one item of note:  Scientific Linux (enough said).  There is no such thing
as Scientific Windows, there is no way/method of making it so.  Ugly facts, but
that is the way.

Also, folks, Linux does require reboots for some items that do not include
kernel updates, but nowhere near the level that Windows does. (After 20 years
of having that level of fun, we shall see when the application I work with
moves from UNIX/Linux to Windows.)

BTW, if you really got to have that Windows application, the is always the
virtual methods...I prefer a little Wine with my Linux.

James McKenzie