Hi Joel,

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 22:03:00 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Does that explain why I'm saying you don't want Flash loading every
> >> time you run your web browser as any user?
> >>

> > How does this change when flash is installed as the regular user?
>
> From what I said about not using su or sudo when logged in to an
> account you surf the web from, you understand that I mean that the
> user does not even use su or sudo to do the final step of copying
> flash where it goes?

I think I follow where we were differing. I didn't realise you also
meant no "administration related tasks" are done from the regular
account in question. Of course in that case it is definitely safer.

So your objection is definitely a valid point but it is not specific to
flash. Its a general principle of not exposing your administrative
password to user accounts that might have been infected by the outside
world.

Am I understanding this correctly? I guess we often make choices
between convenience over security. It usually depends on the context
and the administrator of the system whether it is an acceptable choice.

--
Suvayu