On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:06:29 +0200
Roberto Ragusa <m...@robertoragusa.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it sometimes happens to me that X completely locks up, while the
> machine is still alive on the network.
>
> This is on F14, untainted kernel, nouveau driver, no 3D used,
> KDE desktop on a 32-bit machine with 8GiB RAM and PAE kernel.
> It typically happens when something is going to be drawn on
> the screen (a window pops up or virtual desktop change).
>
> I would like to open a bug, but I'm not able to attach any kind
> of usable log; dmesg says nothing, all I can say is that
> the screen remains frozen (including the pointer), the X
> server and the kernel keep doing some "SIG ALRM" stuff and
> any attempt to access the X server stalls the command (xrandr
> or xset, for example), in a Ctrl-C responsive way.
>
> Any idea?

I had this problem in F14 while using the stock kernel.  When I
compiled a custom kernel it went away.  While I made *many* changes, I
think the one that mattered was turning off SMP on my single core
system.  I suspect, without proof, that the SMP code was occasionally
causing a race condition, and a deadlock.  Other possible causes for
fix:  moved to pre-emptable desktop, reserved 128 K low memory for
kernel, moved to deadline scheduler.

You could open a bug against the kernel, but it has moved on so far
that it will probably languish.