I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of the endless
drivel systemd related stuff keeps spewing to my log file,
and I think I finally got most of it:

I made the file /etc/rsyslog.d/systemd-drivel.conf
which contains these lines:

:programname, isequal, "systemd-logind" ~
:msg, contains, "Activating via systemd" ~
:msg, contains, "Activation via systemd failed" ~
:msg, contains, "org.freedesktop.systemd" ~

After getting rsyslogd restarted, that make it discard
all the junk that tended to make up 90% of my
/var/log/messages file.

That should help keep my SSD drive from running out of
space, and make it possible to see messages that might
actually be important in the log.