Craig White <craigwhite <at> azapple.com> writes:

Man, you brought me back from hibernation again ...

> Considering...
>
> - that you can have your beloved Gnome 2 for at least another 5 years on
> RHEL 6 (or various rebuilds thereof),

But you do not have a workable GNOME DE in Fedora. This fact introduced a lot
of havoc to real users computing and business environments.
As an example of many, this recent post:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-December/408873.html

This is how you kill your users base, in particular the precious corporate
one, which is by no means part of sandalistas movement ...

> - that Fedora embraces the latest technology advances and yes, that
> includes Gnome,

There are many people who doubt that. Change for the sake of change ?
I have already explained on this list how parallelized SysV Init/LSB scripts
are equal in speed and superior in their mainainability and other qualities
to systemd.

There is no question that the child of "progress" GNOME 3 is a basket case,
more than one year after its introduction to Fedora code base.

What "advances" ?

> - that approximately 3 years is considered a generation in terms of
> computer technology which includes everything from hardware to end user
> interfaces,

I think you should stick to your toys and sandbox ...

This is a pseudo-progress gimmicky statement usually introduced by market and
technological newcomers, and the parasitic IT and accounting consultancies,
who benefit from that excessive pseudo-reengineering crap.

Let me give you an example so you can educate yourself.
IBM was and is a mainframe powerhouse. In the mid 90's was forced into
reinventing itself by some emerging technologies (Internet, etc). After DEC
and some others gave up, even one of the main shareholders of IBM admitted
they feared the end as well. Real or unreal fear ?

Now, you know what they did ? They hired a relatively obscure CEO who
understood customers/users base (being himself one of them).
He listened to their needs !
He reorganized IBM around services, added some products that would supplement
their software offerings, and ... basically stuck to IBMs guns, that is their
mainframes.
He assumed, quite correctly, that in the age of proliferating IT and Internet
there will be a lot of already present and future data to be managed and
processed in the backends of data centers.
He did not kill the company or its products, he supplemented and reorganized.
They are still a mainframe powerhowse, even more than in the past.

I call it "back to the future" for IBM.
Do you understand "progress" now ?

> - that regardless of you feelings of Gnome 3, there are people who
> actually like it,

Yes, you and some other clueless twitters.

> - that a significant portion of the Gnome code base had aged and needed
> to be re-written was not merely 'Change for the sake of change',

Yes, this is true, code needs rewriting and refactoring, sometimes even
redesigning.
Even with a total rewrite of GNOME code base, they could choose to offer
GNOME2-like GUI on top of it as a still *default* DE in Fedora, while
preparing a spin with GNOME 3 where it would be developed and tested for
a different class of devices, in anticipation of new technologies and user
needs/habits.
When it was proposed on this list, some anonimous joker told us "Rejected !".
So much for wisdom of sandalistas.
Remember, on or off salons, a sandalista is a sandalista is a sandalista ...

So, the primary reason GNOME devs and their handlers dropped GNOME 2 was their
desire to introduce new GUI for the supposed wave of the future ("smart"
things, which are actually pretty dumb and limiting to their users; and
somewhat more "smart" netbooks, preferably with that powerhouse joke called
Atom chip from Intel).

By doing that they made themselves a laughing stock of DEs (in particular GUI
space) and screwed up their current user base.

That user base (technical and non-technical) started to run away from RH and
Fedora (see the stats I presented to you here) already in anticipation of
future "progress" (GNOME 3, systemd, SELinux, etc).
You got a bill for your "advances" and "progress".
Now deal with it.

> - you want to pin some relevance to whatever Linux Torvalds thinks about
> Gnome is actually significant to this or any discussion,
>
> your whimpers are laughable. I don't recall seeing you post on this list
> before tonight. Are you a longtime Fedora user? Been using a different
> name?
>
> Craig

You are a clueless troll. Educate yourself.
JB