On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 12:27 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> The more I hear about things like this from the Gnome devs the more it
> sounds like they're only interested in having Gnome 3 able to do
> things the devs need and don't care about anybody else.

You get that impression, don't you...

It's not too surprising, and software creation is full of things like
that.  Someone's pet project that became really popular, but the
originator is really only interested in fulfilling their own needs.

> I hope I'm wrong, because if I'm right, it won't be long before Gnome
> has marginalized itself as the vast majority of users abandon it
> because they can't get it to do what they need anymore.

Well, my play with Fedora 16 just leaves me cold.  I'm still on Fedora
9, because it's just got worse and worse, since then.

It was dead in the water on a fresh install from the 64-bit live CD.
You'd get the login screen, then after trying to log in, the oh-no
warning, and no options to make any changes that might do anything to
get it working.  All I could do was switch to a text console, and do a
yum update, hoping that an update would fix things.  It, sort-of, did.

New fancy Gnome3 works in a really annoying way that I just don't want
to put up with.  It's hard to believe that someone thought that
tomfoolery was a good idea.  Fallback mode is just about tolerable.  I
was getting crashes all over the place, either way, but I'm not sure if
that was the machine, or Gnome.  I was trying it out a computer that I'd
never touched before.  Trying to restart X, after a crash, or kill off X
to try and restart, was just going nowhere, likewise with trying to
switch between different virtual terminals and the GUI, so my debugging
attempts have given up in disgust.

Tried KDE, liked that even less.  And they've still got the annoying
mentality that installing KDE installs tons of guff.  There's no notion
of "install a basic desktop, and let me decide what *few* applications I
might want."

Tried XFCE, not thrilled with that, either.  It didn't want to make any
sounds, so never mind trying to listen to music, or watch YouTube, or
anything else with audio.  And I don't really care for its UI.

Everything I've tried, then, and before, as a Gnome2 substitute, I
dislike.  What I want, and go looking for in substitutes, is something
that works like Gnome2 did.  I'm not alone in that.  It's the interface
model that I want.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686