I've cleaned up all of the problems reported by package-cleanup. Checking for dupes reported over 1400 duplicate packages; but telling it to clean them hung the program. I've spent the last several days hacking away at this, little by little until I got down to about 1025 or so, and tried again. This time, it worked, although there were some non-fatal errors in the post uninstall scripts. Checking again, there are no more dupes, no more problems. I'm about to try a system update via yumex and see what happens.

I suspect that I'm going to have to reboot, and will try rebooting to a full graphic environment, using kdm instead of gdm. If this fails and I have to reboot to runlevel 3, what logs can I use to find out what isn't working?