On 12/22/2011 6:24 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

alias ls='ls --color=auto'
         /bin/ls
[egreshko@meimei profile.d]$ which ls
alias ls='ls --color=auto'
         /bin/ls
[egreshko@meimei profile.d]$ which ll
alias ll='ls -l --color=auto'
         /bin/ls
[egreshko@meimei profile.d]$ which l.
alias l.='ls -d .* --color=auto'
         /bin/ls

FWIW, the default settings are contained in /etc/profile.d/colorls.sh

Ed:

Many thanks. As I wrote to jdow, it is especially appreciated given that my machine is in repair so all I can do is ask questions without being able to do any searching for answers (yes, I could probably google around, but as I wrote Joe I was planning on waiting until I had my machine back so I could do such while being able to test various combinations).

Saving the useful content in this thread for that moment.

Paul