I tried reinstalling the third time today and faced the same problem. This time
however, I was able to get into command line directly (Ctrl + Alt + F2). I have
managed to install XFCE and it seems to be running fine. I am almost sure that
the problem is with Nautilus. On all three occassion Nautilus crashed and post
restart the desktop would not work. It seems to have some allergy to FF8 or
Google Chrome. Though I am not sure which and it well could be neither. I am
saying because after installing these packages the alter came up. (SELinux
gives an ABRT message: /usr/bin/nautilus was killed by signal 11 (SIGSEGV)).
The Xorg.0.log seems to have nothing interesting either.