On 5/22/2012 1:05 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:

From part of my firewall startup, a few LOG calls wehich might help.

#   LOG and REJECT anything which looks like a probe
iptables -N PROBE
iptables -A PROBE -j LOG --log-level debug --log-prefix PROBE:
iptables -A PROBE -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-unreachable

Bill:

Thanks for reply and apologies for delay in getting back to you (got hit with eth0/em1 issue).

I went to the iptables man pages and, if I understand your suggestion correctly, you are creating a new chain called PROBE which then logs and rejects.

My question is "what constitutes a probe?". I can see some references online to probes being tcp for broken email, but not much more. I am certain I am missing something in what you offered and what I find in the man pages.

Paul