Ed Greshko wrote:
On 06/26/2012 09:54 PM, Ken Smith wrote:
{snip} user accessible then
installing a service should enable and start it.
{snip}
Well, IMO, server software should default to disabled.  It is not unusual for
users
(novices and even experienced) to install server side software they aren't
going to
use...at least initially.  To have them default to start seems a good choice.
This
is especially true when you probably should alter any default configurations.

{snip}
I could argue this both ways. For something like xrdp I think it should install, enable and run. I can see an argument for other daemons that need more application specific config that install and default to disabled might be a good initial position.
{snip}

I've not used XDMCP in years.  I think part of the reason I moved away from it
is
that when I do "remote" it can be *remote* and the performance over low
bandwidth or
high latency links was lacking.

Agree, but over a 1G LAN with modern hardware it should just fly along.

:-) Ken

believed to be clean.