Paweł Brodacki wrote:
2012/7/2 Richard Vickery <richard.vicker...@gmail.com>:
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Joe Zeff <j...@zeff.us> wrote:
How do we boot up after "halt" or "sleep"? I quit using these commands years
ago for lack of knowledge about booting back up. The man pages never gave me
what I needed to know, and now that it has been brought up, I thought that I
would ask and get my curiosity satisfied.

Thanks.

I'm not using "sleep", but "halt" (stop the system, leave it powered
up) is very handy for systems with an UPS. On prolonged power loss UPS
will tell the system to halt, then wait a bit to give it time, then
cut the power. When sweet electricity starts flowing from the socket
in the wall once again, UPS gives power back to the system, which then
restores itself to the last power state, i.e. powered up. This results
in a nice boot and the machine is alive and kicking once again.

If the system was shut down, then it would just remain shut down after
power was restored.

Depending on the behavior options in both the UPS and BIOS, you can do many things to suit your needs. My power is rarely off for long, so I prefer to stay up for a while. If I lose net connection (ISP dropped) I change the spin down time on data drives to a lower value, root and swap are on ssd, and CPU speed is already set to drop to slow without low.

A custom script can help give you the policy you need.

Sounds as if you are just doing a clean shutdown, and for many people that's the important thing, have the system do the best thing for your own needs.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>