Once, long ago--actually, on Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 03:45:07AM +0930--Tim
(ignored_mail...@yahoo.com.au) said:
> You've never had Windows notice that you've plugged in a new mouse, new
> hard drive, graphics card, et cetera, and seen it grunt through the "new
> hardware detected" routine, that often fails?

I said at _boot_, not after the system is up and running.

So it'll find hardware that wasn't installed after it's able to boot.

At boot, it'll work if the new hardware works with the old driver,
or with stock drivers (e.g., a new video card that will work with the
generic VGA driver.)

It'll bork mightily if the installed HAL.dll is wrong for the new
motherboard.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat