On 10/21/2012 09:59 AM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
What would be some key benefits of replacing X with Wayland?

http://lwn.net/Articles/517375/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(display_server_protocol)

Wayland lacks a lot of features that exist in X.org, currently. I think the idea that X11 can't be fixed, as presented in the first link, is overstated. X11 can definitely lock keyboard and mouse access, though that functionality isn't used in all of the places that it's needed. A lot of my interest in Wayland is hope that they don't make input handling *worse* than X11.