On 2012/11/19 01:02, Brian West wrote:
On 11/19/2012 12:28 AM, NOSpaze wrote:
On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 10:16 +1100, Roger wrote:
Is there any way to trace ip addresses back past the originating ISP.
I've been using whois but it seems limited.
Could mtr be of any help?

ISP and a rough location is all your going to get my friend some of the IP
lookup sites like whatismyip.com will give you country state and city info but
nothing beyond that. if your under attacjk consider installing a firewall with a
brute force ban script.

Google makes attempts to refine locations based on the IP address. It may
have a pretty good base of such information. But with my home machine they
estimate me within about 30 to 60 miles of where I am much of the time.
I have never seen fit to repair their notions of where I live. (They even
have the street address off by enough drivers get confused and don't find
the place. I am not going to correct THAT either.)

{^_-}