On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM, valent.turko...@gmail.com <
valent.turko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Gordon Messmer <yiny...@eburg.com> wrote:
>
>> Google results for "xorg hangs Sandybridge i915" turn up a whole lot of
>> results (sadly).  Among the first page results is one report that a bad
>> BIOS was responsible for the problem.  Have you updated yours?
>>

> I haven't updated my bios, will do that right now if there is newer
> version available.

Updated bios to latest version...

> Has this system ever run a Linux distribution that didn't hang/crash?
>>

> Nope, only Fedora 16 and now 17.
>

>> It may be useful to configure kdump on your system to see if that can
>> capture the cause of the crash.
>>

> Any pointers on how to configure kdump?
>
> Thank a lot for these tips!

Found these instructions:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_kdump_to_debug_kernel_crashes

And updated to kernel 3.8 rc2 from rawhide and enabled kdump on that
kernel... trap is set, now I wait eagerly ;)

--
follow me - www.twitter.com/valentt & http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com
linux, anime, spirituality, wireless, scuba, linuxmce smart home, zwave