On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:55:24 +1100 Philip Rhoades <p...@pricom.com.au>
wrote:

> People,
>

> > Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:18:40 -0500
> > From: "Eddie G. O'Connor Jr." <eoconno...@gmail.com>
> > To: Community support for Fedora users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
> > Subject: Re: humble suggestion to Fedora developers

> >> I have the greatest respect for the developer's that put in
> >> considerable effort for each release. The problem with 6 month
> >> release
> >> cycle is too little time. I've used linux now for almost 6 years with
> >> Ubuntu and Fedora. Some distros use a two year release which is too
> >> long. One or two use an annual release which i think is about
> >> right...
> >> development and testing can fully take place. Why not consider an
> >> annual release which would give appropriate time for all to take
> >> place?
> >>
> >> james
> > I would have to agree with you James, it might not be a bad idea for
> > them to stretch their release time out a bit? I would have positives
> > from all sides. First,....the developers would be able to REALLY put
> > their apps and what-not through a GRUELING testing session, this
> > way...when they say it works.....IT WORKS! Second,.....the public
> > wouldn't find themselves scurrying to acquire the latest version, and
> > slamming it onto their machines without knowing that things won't
> > crash
> > & burn un-necessarily......also it would give the public time to
> > "adapt"
> > and become comfortable with the latest release, instead of going into
> > shock at the arrival of a new desktop environment...or new
> > feature-sets
> > that were not there before. I guess it's just a matter of someone (or
> > LOT of someone's) voicing their opinion loud enough to be heard by the
> > higher-ups? I don't know that they would actually change things around
> > like that....(it would be NICE!) but eventually they might get
> > restless
> > enough to completely flip thing around and have longer time frames
> > between releases.
>

> Maybe we should try out, say, a nine month cycle and if it doesn't suit
> put off things when there is more time to get them done . .

But the rush to release will still be there, whether it is a 6- or 9-
or 12-month cycle? At the point of release, inadequately-tested new
features may still be a problem, no?

I think a more reliable approach is to have a rolling release model,
with periodic snapshot RPMs in a cycle? The periodic snapshots could be
benchmark-based, so no specific time schedule, rather than
calendar-based?

Ranjan