On 1/27/2013 10:06 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 01/27/2013 06:02 PM, David wrote:
>> Or? Well you could use a distro that actually works without searching
>> Google and volumes of text files.
>
> Bad or missing resolutions are pretty much always invalid EDID
> information provided by the hardware.  Windows tends to use information
> provided by the INF files to correct bad data, where X.org expects
> hardware to provide information that's accurate.  I'd agree that the
> ability to read errata in the form of an INF would be an appropriate
> addition to X.org, but I hardly thing that behaving according to the
> limitations that hardware indicates means that X.org or Fedora is
> broken.  Hardware that provides bad EDID clearly is.

I am aware of that. So why does Mageia, and several other distributions,
find the same three different monitors. One CRT and two LEDs. Mageia
finds they all and the latest LED by name and model but all three as
'Generic' have the proper settings. *AND' Mageia's system configuration
utility lists them by name and model. All selectible and configurable.

I mentioned  system-config-display   being able to fix this in Fedora.
The Fedora Wizards killed it. I have mentioned this problem before and
the usual responses are silence or 'your stuff is broken and we are right'.

I have tried to be nice and polite. But IMHO? Fedora's 'stuff' is broken.

--

  David