On 18/03/13 14:14, Ed Greshko wrote:
What kind of drive is it?  Can you swap cables, etc from the working system to
the failing system?

I pulled a DVD Reader from another box and substituted it for the DVD Writer I had installed. The reader works as expected, an icon pops up on the desktop when a disk is inserted.

So as you suggested it is a defective unit. I suppose I should have suspected that first but I thought all I had were in working condition. I will order a replacement, they are inexpensive from what I see advertised.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

--

http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD