On 04/12/2013 01:12 AM, Mike Williams wrote:

<SNIP>

The texlive that comes with fedora 17 is texlive 2007, the version from the tug link is texlive 2013. On my system I used yum to remove texlive, then downloaded the .iso from tug, mounted the iso, installed from that and it works fine.

OK. I have managed to download the "iso", mounted it, cd-ed to the mount point, and run ./install-tl. Turned out I had to sudo the command (which seems inconsistent with the instructions on the TUG web page, but never mind). I set the PATH environment
variable in my .cshrc file, and things seemed to work.

But ***then*** I tried to run latex on a file for a talk that I have to give in a week's time, and all hell broke loose. The talk makes use of the powerdot class, and when I do
latex on it, I get:

! Package hypdestopt Error: This package requires pdfTeX in PDF mode.

See the hypdestopt package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.55   }\@ehc
But powerdot is incompatible with pdfTeX.

It ***used to*** work!!!  (Why do these things always happen
to ***me***?)

I have attached a file demo.tex to demonstrate the problem.

What do I need to do to get things to work?  (Panic is starting
to set in.)

Thanks for any insight.

    cheers,

        Rolf Turner
\documentclass[
size=12pt,
paper=screen,
mode=present,
display=slides,
style=fyma,
fleqn
]{powerdot}
%
\title{A Load of Dingos' Kidneys}
\author{Rolf Turner\\
School of Hard Knocks
}
\date{38 Cunnegonda, 54 BC}
%
% End preamble.
\begin{document}
\maketitle
\begin{slide}{Introduction}
\begin{itemize}
\item This talk is a load of dingos' kidneys.
\end{itemize}
\end{slide}
\end{document}