David wrote:
On 4/13/2013 6:20 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 04/13/2013 03:07 PM, David wrote:
I actually know several (nine) 'old time Linux' users and some are ex
Redhat employes as well as commercial (as in paid sys admins) that say
that the Ubuntu list is full of useless information. Much of it flat out
wrong. Careful. The usual tip off, they say, is "Try this. It might
work".

Yes.  I know.  However, there's always a few grains of wheat mixed in
with the chaff; the trick is to figure out which suggestions to follow.
  Generally, however, I've found that for somebody like me who knows
something about Linux and just needs distro-specific advice, that's not
too hard.

Here you will see the latest usage numbers.

"OS Platform Statistics and Trends"

<http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp>

Interesting, and roughly twice what the Linux Counter suggests:
http://linuxcounter.net/guessing.html

My guess is that your reference counts servers, because mine gets most
of its numbers from webserver hit logs.

I really *do not know* exactly what the usage number means. But I do
'know' that - or think that putting 'grandma' over to Linux, IMHO, would
not be a good idea.  :-)

Actually, that's a good population, they want to do simple things, generally not play games, do course assignments, and such. For browsing, mail, etc, it's easy to use, stable, and more secure than Windows. And you can have the system do network backup without telling them, a big bonus.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>