On 04/18/13 11:23, William Mattison wrote:
> I imported from a Redhat 9 system many files created by vi and containing a
> mix of English and simplified Chinese.  When I load any of those into vi(m)
> on the Fedora-18 system, the simplified Chinese is not displayed properly.  I
> notice at the bottom of the Konsole/XTerm/Terminal, there is a message saying
> "converted".  I don't know if there's a connection.  Both the message and the
> failure to properly display the simplified Chinese happen regardless of the
> simplified Chinese encoding that I choose in the terminal's preferences.  Any
> ideas/suggestions anyone?

What do you get when you type....

file filename  ?

I don't remember, but I think in the Fedora 9 days Unicode may not have been
the default.  The encoding you have may be GB2312.

You can try running....

iconv -f GB2312 -t UTF8 filename > filename.utf8

and then vi the resulting file....

--
From now on, at least during winter time, Im going to blame all spelling an
grammar erros on the cat sitting on my chest every time I sit down at the