On 07/12/13 10:15, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> So the service is enabled and the port isn't? What's the point of
> enabling services if it doesn't open the appropriate port? An nmap scan
> from another machine shows
>
> 111 tcp open
> 631 tcp closed
> 2049 tcp closed
>
> Could someone help me understand what's going on? How come the portmapper
> (111) is open and 2049 is not? And what do I have to do to actually open
> ports 2049 and 631?

One question.....  Is the nfs server running?

If you don't have the service enabled and you do a remote port scan you'll
get....

PORT     STATE    SERVICE
2049/tcp filtered nfs

If you have the service enabled, but the server not running you'll get....

PORT     STATE    SERVICE
2049/tcp closed   nfs

If you have the service enabled and the server running only then will you get...

PORT     STATE    SERVICE
2049/tcp open    nfs

From the remote machine.....

--
The only thing worse than a poorly asked question is a cryptic answer.