On 24 Jul 2013, at 21:31, Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com> wrote:

> Junk wrote:

>>> Not sure what you mean by "still the case," it was as of 1PM yesterday when
>>> posted, and since it's burned on DVD I doubt it's changes. Some systems
>>> refuse
>>> to install without network.
>>>
>>> That was the response I got when I reported the bug before, "Can't
>>> reproduce"
>>> and "WFM" don't cover the ground with anything but a hard fail on all
>>> systems.
>>> And "you must be doing something wrong" really doesn't fit a process which
>>> consists of "load DVD" followed by "power on." I've been installing Linux
>>> since
>>> it hit usenet in 91 or so, and it works on other systems. It's clearly a
>>> Fedora
>>> bug, does not happen on the same machine with Mint, Ubuntu, or Puppy, and
>>> the
>>> other machine which has this issue installed Slackware fine. Note: after
>>> installing Slackware the problem went away, installing Ubentu didn't fix the
>>> machine of interest.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>
>>>    "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
>>> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot
>>
>> Firstly. Calm down. I believe your preconceptions are mostly at issue
>> here.
> If you mean the preconception that install from DVD should not need a network
> connection, that's exactly the issue. After install the upgrade comes from
> another DVD holding a local repo of common things which have been updated.
>
>> The posts you responded to are talking about the fedup over a network
>> onto an encrypted partition. Not the DVD install. It works but your too
>> het up on your issue to realise what they are talking about notice.
> Go back, read my post. I put a DVD into the machine with no network
> connection to do an install from scratch because fedup didn't work. Clear? My
> original post was clear that I was doing an install from DVD, and if "they"
> thought it was something else, I reread my original post and it still seems
> clear.

Re-read the first line of your initial email. The one with the word 'fedup' in
it. Are you, or are you not, talking about fedup?

> Booted from DVD, did scratch install, system demanded network. Can't say it
> any clearer than that, can't do it simpler than that. Just as have have done
> on all the ones which worked.
>
> Can't be explained away, if it's user error it wouldn't work on some systems
> but not all. I've been doing this a decade or two, after the first two fails
> the rest of the tests were carefully noted step by step, trying things like
> different filesystem types, reformatting the partitions or not, etc. In no
> case did I return to trying to use fedup, because after an early attempt the
> install could not recognize the boot or root partitions in any way.
>
>> Secondly, people are responding to your bugs with "Can't Reproduce"
>> because they can't. I can't. I've just now set up a machine with no
>> network card at all and successfully installed Fedora 19 from a DVD.
>> What makes this all the more fun is that the answer you want is in the
>> screenshot you posted.
> Experience tells me that "doesn't happen every time" is not the same as
> "doesn't happen." No matter what's on that screen, that screen shouldn't come
> up on install from DVD.

Ok. The clear short version. The screenshot you posted. Click continue. The
machine installs.

That screen is not saying network is a requirement for install. But that it is
required to get updates once the machine is installed. It gives you an
opportunity to get things sorted. You can ignore it.

>> And as Reindl has been getting all the action recently I'll finish with
>> this.
>> You, Sir, are what Aristotle would call "a 'tard"
>>
>> Now you can get angry again,
>
> Don't know what prompted the personal attack, perhaps frustration at not
> being able to explain the problem, and not convincing me that it isn't a
> problem?
>
> --
> Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>
>  "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot
> --

And thus the case of The Crown versus Davidson was proven.

Junk.