On 08/15/2013 06:49 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

I have ifcfg-eth0 defined with proper HWADDR, and still that physical port
is not always called eth0 when the system boots.  I do not have the other
NICs defined in ifcfg-ethX files

and you did read what i said?

*consider rename them to lan0, lan1, lan2, lan3 to avoid the race-condition
kernel-naming / renaming *

Yes, and I considered it, but I do not want my networks named like that.  I've
been using ethX in my application and products for more than a decade, and do
not want to change the naming scheme if at all possible.

with 4 NIC's this was never predictable and mostly luck
the only stupid thing is that this this new crap names also appear
if there is only one NIC or at least only identical ones with
the same driver what makes race-conditions unlikely

I understand why the names come up jumbled on bootup, but there is no excuse
for udev not being able to properly rename them as requested.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <gree...@candelatech.com>