Allegedly, on or about 05 November 2013, Jonathan Ryshpan sent:
> My current card is a GeForce 8400GS, with which I replaced
> GeForce 9500GT when its fan burned out.  As I remember it, the GeForce
> 9500GT had less trouble with Firefox, but there have been many changes
> to other software

Perhaps your easiest solution, then, is to replace the fan.

I've got a donated graphics card which had a seized fan.  So, it's
graphics operations got slower and slower until the original owner
didn't like it anymore (the card slows itself down, to avoid cooking
itself).

I just aimed a case fan across the whole card, cooling the whole card
better than the original fan which only cooled one heatsink.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.