On Nov 22, 2013, at 4:19 AM, Tim <ignored_mail...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Windows installations have always messed with bootloaders to set things
> up for itself, and nothing else.

To be fair, Linux installations eat their own as well.

> The only time I've seen Windows installations acknowledge prior installs
> and give you a boot choice has been when installing some versions of
> Windows with a another version of Windows.  Microsoft only cares about
> Microsoft.

Which is quite a bit friendlier than most Linux installations where the prior
GRUB is stepped on, access to the former GRUB menu is lost, and you depend on
whether or not GRUB2 + OS-PROBER can figure out how to collect your other linux
distros together and make them bootable, of course without any of their
distribution specific kernel parameters which have also been lost.

So really, linux distributions are actually rather hostile to each other when
it comes to multibooting, than Windows or OS X. They're actually in some sense
friendlier to co-existing with Windows, than they are each other.

Chris Murphy