Clemens Eisserer writes:

Hi,

After a system update 2-3 weeks ago, applications like java and
firefox began to take a quite long time to start up (an extra ~10s).
However this only occurs when I am connected to a network, when my
laptop is running unconnected everything is fine (however it doesn't
matter wether I am connected at home or in the office, so the cause is
not a malfunction of my DNS server).

Today I tried to find out what is going on and it seems the
applications are stalled while looking up the hostname of my own
machine ("user-pc").
Shouldn't in this case the lookup return immediantly?

Actually, according to your stacktrace below, the DNS lookup is for "user-pc. 3.home".

What happens when you execute

dig user-pc.3.home a