Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> On 30.11.2013 00:10, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
>> Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:

>>> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/5642/what-if-kill-9-does-not-work
>>>
>>> Mateusz Marzantowicz
>>
>> Thank for link, but I'm not a lot smarter.
>> Maybe Linux immunize system init (PID 1) against SIGKILL (but I was
>> working on Unices where SIGKILL to init caused clean & immediate
>> system halt - kernel flush buffers, unmount FSs and halt machine),
>> but what SIGKILL to other processes? I was killing them as root, and
>> as I wrote before, they was not zombies and possibly nor in
>> uninterruptible sleep - 'top' utility shows as they consumes eg.
>> several or several tens percents CPU.
>> Then, according to Your link, is only other possibility bad Linux
>> kernel?
>>

> Does it happen always regardless system load and ongoing IO operations?
> It was mentioned in that article that the result of kill -9 might not be
> immediate depending on what is occupying your kernel.
>
> Please also note, that you can't kill systemd (PID 1) on Linux because
> it's init process and it doesn't have much sense. To reboot your system
> 'properly' use shutdown/halt/reboot or systemctl command. Simply killing
> init is not save this days.
>
> Mateusz Marzantowicz

Last time I did 'kill -9' was when I had freezed GUI, but it was possible
remotely ssh'd to this machine and working on it. I tried kill some
processes in hope that I can finish programs running in X.
IMO on these Unices 'kill -9 1' was acting as 'halt -f' - when its
man page is correct, it say:
"
Force immediate halt, power-off, reboot. Don't contact the init system.
"
Franta