On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 19:09:57 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
        [....]
>       Anyway, I changed dillo to Dillo both in Alpine's settings and on
> my PC, and links still open in Firefox. :-

        This morning, suddenly, it does what I was trying to accomplish:
Alpine on the remote machine, being read here under ssh, opens Dillo, not
Firefox, when I click on "open link."

        I added "GONE" instead of "SOLVED" to the subject line, because
I'm not at all sure whether the change to upper case, or something I did
after that, caused the welcome change. It might even be something
earlier : both machines have logged out and back in, or rebooted, since
my last attempts.

Remember I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.