<mha...@practichem.com> wrote:
> > So, let me get this straight, DNF doesn't check the (online?) repo
> > metadata when I call 'sudo dnf update'?  That's how I'm reading this.
> >
> >  If that's true, why the devil not?
>
> At a guess, for marketing reasons. People see apt as being quicker
> than yum, and in a large part that's because it doesn't update
> metadata where yum does, so people are comparing two different things.
> I believe that not checking metadata is retarded and I don't think
> we're right in moving to the same architecture. But it wouldn't
> surprise me if that's the rationale.

And you are absolutely correct.

The metadata are quite large and downloading them every single time is
time consuming. There is usually no harm in getting the updates a few days
later and if you really want to get the very latest updates, you still have
options how to achieve that - either change the time period for how long the
MD should be cached or run dnf clean * before you run the update.

* See the man page for details on dnf clean, there are multiple options you
can use

Thanks
Jan