On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com>wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2014, at 11:24 AM, "pgaltieri ." <pgalti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> The above series of commands do not power off the system, it resets it.
> Same with the poweroff command.
>
> What's strange is I was running 3.13.5-103 kernel without issues until I
> turned the power off by hitting the switch.
>
> I tried 2 earlier kernels, 3.12.11-201 and 3.13.5-101.  Both of these
> worked, i.e. the system went straight to the graphical login and a shutdown
> resulted in the system powering off.  What's interesting is that I tried
> the 3.13.5-101 kernel a couple of days ago and it went straight to rescue
> mode as well.  I also checked and all modules got loaded so it looks like I
> can boot the older kernel and try to do an update and see if the most
> recent kernel exhibits the same problem.
>

> Well the fact you're getting different results with different kernels
> implies there is a kernel bug or regression. But then the fact you're also
> getting different results with a particular kernel version also, implies
> some kind of on-disk corruption. So if previously working kernels are now
> not working, while older ones do work, then just reinstall them.
>
> What do you get for
> smartctl -x /dev/sda

Here's the link

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=K76mJvZKSG0mr5pSoDGM7k

> But I have no patience for corruption. I personally don't just do
> reinstalls for that, because corruption is like mice. Where there's one,
> there's more and I go for complete extermination by reverting to
> the basics: manufacturer hardware test [1], memtest 86+[2], backup then
> obliterate the drive contents with ATA secure erase [3], reinstall,
> smartctl -t long /dev/ test followed by smartctl -x, then restore user data
> and apps.
>
> Good opportunity to upgrade to Fedora 20. :-)

I'll wait a bit, I'm not that adventurous :-)

> [1] For UEFI systems, this can be built-into the firmware, or reside on
> the EFI System partition so you should inspect your ESP to see if it's
> there somewhere so you can back it up for future use. Doing a 'tree
> /boot/efi' is useful for this. Or it may be a separate download.
>
> [2]
> You want one of the first two, use dd to write to a USB stick.
> http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
>
> [3]
> Applies to SSDs and HDDs alike.
> http://mackonsti.wordpress.com/2011/11/22/ssd-secure-erase-ata-command/
>

> The system was purchased in December of 2013, but I have not checked for
> an update.
>

> I would. My main laptop is an Apple Macbook Pro and it had a firmware
> update out of the gate upon arrival the very month of its assembly (and
> about 4 more after that mostly all Thunderbolt related). It's not a given
> that the new firmware is better. But that's usually the case when
> experiencing weird problems like being unable to power off the computer.

There was a BIOS update which I installed.  The system booted fine after
the update, but now I'm back to emergency mode, and I have no idea what I
did :-(

This is now starting to get very frustrating.  After booting of an old
kernel I ran yum -y update and updated to the latest kernel and selinux
packages plus other stuff.  I rebooted and the system lo and behold booted
up to the graphical login, there was no emergency mode login prompt :-)

This was running fine for a while.  I plugged in my external USB 3.0 hub,
which worked fine with 3.13.5 prior to me screwing things up :-) and
nothing happened, it did not see any drives. I unplugged the drives and
then plugged them in one by one and it saw one but not the other 3.

So I unplugged the hub after making sure no drives were mounted and
rebooted.  Guess what?  I'm now back to the emergency mode prompt.  If I
boot off an older kernel I again get the emergency mode prompt.  What was
working fine earlier no longer works.

Here's the shutdown log

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=-h_XGxyZT-ws_rNy16Jr0g

This system has been running Linux since December and I've never had as
much trouble with it as I have had these last few days.  Arggggghhhhh!!!!!

Paolo