On 05/20/14 14:05, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/20/14 12:57, Michael Hannon wrote:
>> and it *does* have the duplex printing option enabled:
>>
>>     Double-sided printing: Long Edge (standard)
>
> Sorry for the gratuitous trimming....  Just wanted to share my experience
> which probably doesn't fix your situation but may trigger others to think
> what may.....
>
> I had much the opposite situation.  I have an HP 6500 with duplex capability.
>  It is configured in CUPS as "installed" and the default is set to "
> Double-Sided Printing: off".  Yet every time I printed I would get
> double-sided print-outs.  In checking the print options for each application
> I was using the Double-sided option was selected.  In order to get
> single-sided, I always had to manually revert it within all of the
> applications.
>
> Ultimately, I ran "hp-toolbox"  (which isn't applicable to you) and set the
> default there....  After that, each application did pick up the default
> single sided.  So, it seems, settings are held in multiple places and I'm not
> certain where all the places are and which location has priority.....
>
> Anyway.....  Just wondering, when you print from an application, if you
> checked to see what printer options are being used.

FWIW, this got to me thinking and I found where the per-user options are
set.....

~/.cups/lpoptions

Duplex=DuplexNoTumble is set for a printer where the default should be

Double-sided printing: Long Edge

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You
may both be wrong. -- Dandemis