On 06/17/2014 06:40 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

On 06/16/14 04:42, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 06/16/14 16:37, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> So there is still a considerable difference in what each of them does here,
I ran into this the other day. It would seem the way dnf handles caching is different from yum. Not 100% sure/convinced this "fixed" my problem....but after running "dnf clean expire-cache" it then reported the same thing as yum.

Yes, [root@box10 bobg]# dnf clean expire-cache

Yields the same update list this morning, only two items in this case.

But it seems to eat up any time saved by running dnf instead of yum.

Bob

All that command is doing is making the next dnf process refetch all its repository metadata which commands "dnf clean dbcache" and "dnf clean metadata" and "dnf clean all" will do, as well as sometimes "dnf check-update" re-downloads all the repository metadata. It has also been suggested that just changing the dnf config to make the time between downloads the same as what yum uses would rectify the issue, but that would mean that dnf would have to have a service continually running to refresh the cache like yum does. Does dnf have such a service?

regards,
Steve