yes!  use ps *** to get parent pid to follow, then i think the chant is
something like,

strace -f -p <pid>

note, a lot of system call info gets dumped, but IMHO, the needle is in
that haystack!

you might want to log output to a file, ...

also, i loved to find a failing clue and then pipe strace -f ... | grep
<myclue>

but i digress,...

Good Luck!! [?]

hth, ...