On Sun, 2014-08-31 at 14:12 +1000, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> It sort of looks like a RAM problem to me but ALL the SIMMS can't be
> faulty

Well, they can...  When it comes to recycling, all bets are off,
particularly if nobody took anti-static precautions while handling the
parts.

But, for the sake of a simple thing to try, I'd try cleaning the
contacts in the RAM sockets, and the on the RAM sticks, with electrical
contact cleaner and lubricant.  Likewise, for other plug-in cards.

If you have another power supply to try, substitute it.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.15.10-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Thu Aug 14 16:12:39 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.