On Wed, 2014-09-10 at 06:56 +1000, Stephen Morris wrote:
>      Thankyou for your responses. I probably need some more
> assistance
> on these.
>      I have minidlna installed already but haven't been able to
> figure
> out how to use it.
>      I have also been told that XBMC to XBMC streaming is not a godd
> idea, how valid is that?
>      Also, like Miracast under Windows, doesn't Linux have to be able
> see the device before any of the mentioned package can stream to it?

(Insert standard comment about not top-posting.)

IIRC getting minidlna to work was trivial. I seem to remember some minor
editing of the config file to set up directories to serve from, then
starting it via systemd. It starts automatically on boot so in the worst
case if you restart your system it should just happen. You may also need
to open port 8200 (the default) if you firewall is blocking it.

Also, I suspect you may be labouring under a misconception: you don't
stream media to your remote device, the device streams media *from* the
server (using the DLNA protocol). You don't have to tell the server what
the device is. It will just stream to any device on the LAN that can
find it. I can stream to my phone or tablet without any further setup
other than installing a suitable app.

poc