On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Balint Szigeti <balint.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

> today I installed the rsyslog and enable it then disabled (then masked)
> systemd-journal-flush, systemd-journald services. Plus I disabled
> systemd-journald.socket as well.
> It broke my system. After I closed the sudo session I could gain root access
> plus I couldn't start any program only forks for the existed ones (like
> gnome terminal).
> The reboot didn't work. The box just didn't start up. :( (just remark -
> systemd is not depends on itself........)

I disabled all of the journal service and socket units and rebooted
without a hitch. It was in an X-less VM though so perhaps things go
awry when booting a DE (I don't see why it whould).

> I booted into runlevel 1 (yeeeah - runlevel doesn't exist on systemd - I
> wanted to say rescue.target) and redo the mask and enable everything.

I boot into runlevel 1 when I use "1" on the kernel cmdline.

> I've noticed the rsyslog doesn't listen to the system logging.
>
> I've run logger command but I don't find it in the log. I've checked the
> journalctl and /var/log/messages file as well.
>
> # logger -t AAAA hello
> # journalctl |grep hello
> # grep hello /var/log/messages
> #

Same here.

Is journald supposed to be turned off when using systemd? Why do you
want it off? You can set "Storage=volatile" in
"/etc/systemd/journald.conf" and 1) you'll only have rsyslog logs
across reboots and 2) the journald logs will be written to the
"/run/log/journal/" tmpfs so journald will simply collect logs for
rsyslog.