> I agree with all of this, including the questions about context. The fact is
> any learner of latin character languages will have to learn to read multiple
> typefaces: handwritten block and cursive, and serif and sans-serif type. The
> more they read, the better the word recognition will get. The more varied
> text they read the better the tolerance for "errors" compared to what they're
> used to will get. Reading itself solves the problem, I'm not sure what better
> exercise there is for this. I don't see how learning 5 kinds of r's in
> isolation is going to teach anyone anything at all, because it's a pattern
> recognition challenge.

I understand the concern for the initial care in children's literacy,
but I think the fears are unfounded and instead of seeking to create
or modify fonts to suit what he considers fundamental to literacy for
children and prevent problems and confusions .

But I think that the approach is not the best, I bet most of what is
always done to expose children to different types of writing and
letters to broaden their outlook and also avoid confusion, rather than
restricted to a "pure" version .