On Oct 17, 2014, at 5:57 PM, sean darcy <seandar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I updated the BIOS on an acer EFI laptop. Now there's no grub boot menu, it
> just boots to W 8.1.
>
> How do I reinstall grub ?

You don't reinstall it. The problem almost certainly is that the firmware
update blew away the contents of NVRAM, and the fallback boots Windows rather
than Fedora. You'll need to get into the firmware's boot manager and locate
Fedora for booting, the UI for this is unique to each firmware so unless
someone has the same firmware you have, we really can't give great advice how
to do this. But once you tell the built-in boot manager to boot Fedora, it
actually will first load shim.efi which will determine there isn't a Fedora
NVRAM entry, and it will run fallback.efi to add a Fedora entry to NVRAM. I
don't know whether it'll make it the default or not though, it probably should
so that we don't have to deal with the built-in boot manager. Once shim has
done its job, the handoff is to grub.efi.

It's important to understand grub on UEFI is completely different than on BIOS:
where it lives, how it's installed, and really how it even works, and the
grub.cfg is also in a different location between UEFI and BIOS (on Fedora; for
upstream grub.cfg is in the same location regardless of firmware type).

Chris Murphy