On 02/23/2015 01:03 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
And you have backups right? Because by definition it's not important
unless you have backups.

First, I'd like to point out that just because the installer isn't supposed to modify your partitions without your explicitly selecting them doesn't mean that it never happens. It's always possible for a bug to rear its ugly head and mark /home for reformatting even though you've specified that it's to be used as is, or for a bit to flip, changing the value of a flag. However, I must agree with you about backups. I've given new users instructions on how to set things up so that /home can be preserved across new installations many times, but I've also told them to create a backup, Just In Case.