On 02/23/2015 10:15 PM, Pete Travis wrote:

On Feb 23, 2015 1:26 PM, "Chris Murphy" <li...@colorremedies.com

I don't think it came up in
this thread, but I've seen partition ordering cited in this context as
well:  user wants /boot on sda1, / on sda2, /home on sda3, /opt on sda5,
/usr/local on /sda6, and so on.  In most of those cases, there wasn't a
technical reason for this or some automated code with partition
expectations - just arbitrary preference.
Not quite. Sometimes there are technical reasons.

E.g. Some (all?) BIOSes aren't able to boot from non-primary partitions. With a preinstalled WinXP often having occupied 3 primary partitions (BOOT, WIN, RECOVER), Installing more than one Linux, required you to install a linux boot partition as the 4th primary partition.

Similar restriction apply elsewhere. E.g. I have an older BIOS system which for (at least to me) unknown reasons refuses to boot from chained/cascaded grub partitions beyond some disk-limits.

In more complex multiboot configurations (e.g. several different linux distros, several releases of the same distro, several different configurations of the same distro), other aspects come into play, which more or less are personal preference, such as keeping an OSs' partitions consecutively together, whether to share or not to share boot or swap partitions etc.

Experience tells, any sharing, such as sharing grub or swap partitions, will fail in longer terms - Unfortunately, some distros' installers by default do so and automatically try to reuse such partitions (IIRC, anaconda still does so, till today)

So really, if this stuff bothers you,  sit down, come up with a rational
justification for the feature  you want, and send it in.  Most
developers in this space do listen, but the normal rules of polite human
interaction and rational discourse do apply. "Because that's that I
want" isn't a good way to ask for someone else's time.
But the converse applies: "A tool which doesn't suffice my needs, will not be my choice and will loose me as a customer"

Ralf