> Tim:
>>> I can't say that I have that experience, it's very rare that an update
>>> breaks something on my system.  Sounds like you have something wrong
>>> with your system, more than Fedora in general.
>
> Jim Lewis:
>> What does "very rare" mean? So it has happened to you on occasion?
>
> Way back on Fedora 17, playback of some video files became unstable with
> some yum update.  I can't recall anything since then.
>
>> It happens to me on occasion and certainly does to others as well and so
>> don't trust it. I want an update to improve my system, not make it
>> worse.
>
> Fair enough, but avoiding a problem (while accumulating others, such as
> numerous security flaws), instead of fixing a fault (or several) by
> installing updates and debugging anything that screwed up, isn't really
> a good way of doing things.
>
>> The problem is still there and no I have not rebooted yet.
>
> Well, that well may be the problem and solution, but can't tell without
> trying.  Generally speaking, there is more than one terminal installed,
> so you can use another one to work on fixing a broken one.
>
> Some (few) updates require a reboot, generally just kernel-related
> updates.  Some updates do need you to log out and back in again.  Some
> updates require you to quit using whatever software has been updated,
> and restart it.  Some don't seem to require that, at all, you can carry
> on using the prior version until you want to quit it.

Hi Tim,

  I have been running Fedora 14 since it came out and have never installed
an update (well, okay, I manually installed the Shellshock patch and do
run my own custom kernel). I'm still waiting for an intrusion or
something to go wrong. I am behind a pretty good firewall and don't do
anything really stupid with my systems. I have to say 14 was and is the
best Fedora they ever came out with.

  Basically every time I run an update, on anything, something goes wrong.
I was great at IBM as a quality control person because nothing ever got
past me! But I didn't have many friends on the dev team. Until I got on
the dev team.

  Can you point me to where one of these other terminals is? The only
reason I can still use one or make more is because there were some
already opened before I ran the update. My attempts to find a way to
create a terminal by not using a previous one have all failed.

  Since I fully expect to have no terminals when I finally reboot I have
opened Bug 1196472 for this issue. They have already begun to look at
the problem.

Jim Lewis