On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 12:21:15 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I am still trying to fix this, just in over my head ...

Run "du -h /" on your sda3 and skim over the output. Watch out for
directory trees that contain many GB. Is that usage expected?
Especially examine /var. Try to find any runtime files (e.g. in cache
directories other than Yum's) where you may want to clean up manually.

> I've never used gparted before but so far have managed to shrink the
> largest partition 20+ GB. However that is an extended partition and I
> need to add space to / [/var/cache/yum/x86_64/21/fedora is what wants
> more room] and I don't understand how to deal with that?
>
> If I botch this I can still re-install and start from scratch again but
> would prefer not.

An old-school way is to use a so-called "bind mount", i.e. mount a
_directory_ stored on another partition on /var/cache/yum. In /etc/fstab
an entry for that could be added, too. Example:

  /home/storage/yumcache   /var/cache/yum    auto   bind   0 0

Since your /home dir has enough free space. ;)
Don't forget to remove stuff in /var/cache/yum prior to mounting.