The link you refer to
talks about the 2 bytes past byte 255, they they are
bytes 256 and 257.
But I already indicated the 466 bytes are null... in another usb drive I tested, thus no boot signature - and yet, bios hung forever because that disk was 2nd
in boot order after cd/dvd drive, and before internal HD.

So, the laptop's BIOS is executing what? A good code for moving from disk
to disk until it finds the bootable drive in the boot sequence specified?
Clearly in this case - it does not do so.
And yet, you insist it is not a flaw.